As Autumn is upon us and winter is fast approaching, its the perfect time to expand your soup repertoire and get the nourishment soup season offers. This is a staple soup in my house and something both my kids and partner all love. The healing bone broth and simplicity of the veggies and pulses is a lovely, balanced mix and you’re not left feeling starving like after some other soups.
– 2 tblsp Ghee
– 1 white onion, finely diced
– 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
– 2 sticks of celery, diced (leaves included)
– 2 carrots, diced
– 2 zucchinis, diced
– 1 large white potato or 2 small ones
– 1 cup of pulses (i used a soup mix including pearl barley, farro, french lentils, split red lentils, split yellow lentils) – ideally soak these in water for 6-24 hours to assist in digestibility
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 500mls bone broth (my preference is chicken)
– 500mls purified water
– bunch of chopped parsley to serve
Heat Ghee in a large pot and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes
Add all the diced vegies and stir in to combine (2-3mins) (notice your pot of rainbow goodness – yum)
Rinse soaked pulses in a sieve and then add these to the large pot, add your salt and pepper and stir all ingredients together for before adding your liquids.
Add your liquids and cover for 30-45 mins to allow pulses and vegies to cook to al dente.
Serve with some more salt and pepper and garnish with parsley!