The Largest Organ in Your Body
Weighing in at over 1.3kgs, the liver is the largest visceral organ in the body and is hailed as our body’s detoxification powerhouse.
If you haven’t gotten on the liver bandwagon as such yet, now is the time- the ultimate new year’s resolution.
Your Liver’s Life Purpose
Your liver is responsible for more than 500 different functions in the body. A major function is the detoxification/neutralization of toxins and removing them from the bloodstream.
- Bile production: Bile is essential in aiding the small intestine in breaking down and absorbing fats, cholesterol and a range of vitamins.
- Absorbing and metabolizing bilirubin: Bilirubin is the product of broken down haemoglobin. The iron released from haemoglobin is stored in the liver which is later used to make the next generation of blood cells.
- Metabolizing carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are stored in the liver to be broken down into glucose and filtered into the blood stream to keep a steady level of glucose levels in the blood. They are stored as glycogen and released whenever a quick burst of energy is needed.
- Vitamin and mineral storage: The liver stores essential vitamins including A, D, E, K, and B12.
- Helps metabolize proteins and fats: Bile helps break down proteins and fats making for easier digestion.
- Filters the blood: The liver filters and removes internal compounds from the body, including hormones and also compounds from outside the body, including alcohol and other drugs.
- Immunological function: The liver contains Kupffer cells which destroy disease-causing agents that might have entered the liver through the gut.
What’s on Your Liver’s Long List of Toxins
You can argue that you don’t really drink that much so therefore, your liver must be in reasonably good condition. However, the reality is- toxins are everywhere, they’re in our external and internal atmosphere. Without a functioning liver life is bleak, if any life at all. As such, it is crucial you work to support your liver in retaining health and minimizing toxins where possible.
- Antibiotics, pain killers and other pharmaceuticals
- Disinfectants, households chemicals, and solvents
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Recreational drugs
- Pesticides and insecticides
- Excess hormones
Signs and Symptoms Your Liver is Working Overtime
A sluggish liver can and will manifest into many pesky symptoms and in extreme cases chronic disease and illness.
The range is long and vast.
- Brain fog
- Fatty Liver disease
- IBS and bloating
- Weight gain
- Adrenal problems
- Heart palpitations
How to Obtain Yourself a New Liver
The liver is an incredible structure for many reasons, however the capacity to regenerate itself is what really sets it apart from every other visceral organ.
The tissue of the liver does a complete turn over in just 30 days. Thus, in a a sense, it’s possible to obtain a brand new functioning liver in 30 days if no complications or health run ins occur. That’s why it’s important to be good to your liver.
Ways to improve your liver health include but are not limited to:
- Herbs: there are a number of herbs that work to detox, purify and cleanse your liver. Examples are curcumin, chickory root, burdock, cats claw and schisandra.
- Vitamins: Vitamin B12, C and D3 all have different properties which are elemental in maintaining liver function.
- Natural supplements: such 5-MTHF, glutathione, L-lysine and NAC all have strong pro liver qualities and again all contain various properties that work to increase liver integrity.
- Foods: there is a long list of foods that provide powerful liver cleansing properties. Foods include but are certainly not limited to apples, berries, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, celery, Atlantic sea vegetables, grapes, leafy greens- the list goes on.
- Organic or biodynamic foods: eat organic wherever you can to reduce the burden of sprayed chemicals.
- Minimise environmental toxins: opt for the natural house disinfectants instead
- Minimising the use of pharmaceutical drugs: only take when needed.
- Colonics: particularly coffee colonics. A water colonic is an extremely effective way to clear out liver bile that is residing in your large intestine, however if a big liver clean out is your intention a coffee colonic is an extremely potent way to reduce liver stress. The coffee that is implanted in the sigmoid part of the colon releases a chemical reaction that travels through the hepatic system and opens the gallbladder where liver bile is stored. Effectively, inducing a massive liver dump.
- Make a plan: the thought of liver health and prosperity can be an overwhelming one. That is why it is important you see a professional to collaborate in order to draw up a plan of attack to is unique to your situation and lifestyle.
Written by Sam
Sam has always suffered from food sensitivities and IBS symptoms but she had just learnt to deal with them or more specifically- ignore them.
At some point she fell extremely sick with Glandular Fever and it was then she realised she needed to take matters into her own hands.
She delved deep into the practice of yoga and has since completed a couple of teacher trainings. In studying the practice of yoga she developed an understanding of energy and how it affects us in ways we can only attempt to comprehend.
She then began studying a bachelor in health science specifically designed towards Naturopathy and added Colonic Hydrotherapy to her learnings which enabled her to support her clients on many levels at pH Clinic.
Sam is available on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. To book an appointment with Sam, click here or call 0420 644 852.